Child of Immigrants

I have been trying for some time now to finally sit down and start my first blog post. I have so many things that I want to say; so much to share, but my mind seems to get dazed at every attempt. That is until this morning.

I was talking to a friend about all the problems I see newcomer Canadians going through, and how badly I wish I could help. She made a quick comment and changed the topic, “why do you care so much anyways, you were never a newcomer”. She continued on to talk about her husband and plans for the weekend, but I found it hard to hear anything she was saying.

The loss of identity, language barriers, depression, not to mention the financial burden of relocating their lives, it all seems like too much for anyone to bear.  But why does it bother me so much, why do I feel such an attachment to newcomers? Instantly I began to think about all the stories my parents had told me growing up, about their own newcomer experiences.  My brother and I used to laugh and say that my dad sounded like Bill Cosby telling scary tales of struggle to his children, but deep down inside we both knew they were true.

One of my favourites was his story about the mid-winter snow storm that had him walking 2 kms in knee deep snow due to a missed bus after work. After arriving at home, my dad realized that somewhere along the way he had lost his boot, but his feet were too frozen to even notice.  Or the many times my parents had to carefully draft out what they wanted to say to the bank teller, in fear that she wouldn’t understand their request. I also vividly remember the looks that people used to give us in our predominantly white neighborhood, or the way the teachers used to speak to my mother, loud and slow…as though she was deaf and they were doing her a favour.

I feel like it is these stories and experiences that have helped me appreciate the trials of newcomer Canadians. I remember when I first started working with newcomers in the schools I found it really difficult. Every time I met with a South Asian man I felt like it was my father, and I wanted to help as much as I could. Every woman that said she felt helpless and alone made we want to jump across my office and hug her…comfort her…tell her that things will get better, I promise.

As a child of immigrants, I feel strongly connected to my parent’s struggle, and want to help other newcomer Canadians as much as I can…you don’t have to be a newcomer to be passionate about the issues, you just have to remember where you came from.

Advertisements

9 thoughts on “Child of Immigrants

1. Salima says:

Great post! It will resonate with me while i remember all the stories my own parents told me growing up with all the hardships they went through. Our struggles seem so small in comparison.

2. Adnan says:

Dear Rabia,

I think you have written a beautiful entry here. It reminds us of how our parents shape our lives, how we internalize life lessons, and how we come to terms with our own realities.

Adnan

3. Bonnie says:

Rabia, I found your first post so moving. I think it speaks powerfully to all of us who care about newcomers and the issues they face. Thanks for your honesty and openness, and for your deep passion and commitment. Looking forward to reading more…

4. Nadia says:

The three comments above resonate strongly with how I feel. So much of who we are is derived from their experiences as new immigrants. Only in acknowledging their struggles can we truly appreciate how brave our parents really were. It would be a good measuring stick for those of us enjoying the fruits of their labour.

5. Azmina Noordin says:

Hello Rabia
    You have produced something very powerful that’s within you. It’s absolutely true how our parents had to go through a great deal, and you telling this amazing through your blog! It’s so important to care and nurture our fellow immigrants in any way we can. Keep it up. thanks for sharing. azmina N.

6. Nhu-Y says:

Hi Rabia,
    Believe it or not, i started to tear up when I read your blog. I guess i found a strong connection within your stories. Thank you for sharing and look forward to reading more 🙂

7. Salma Ahmed says:

Dear Rabia,
    Very powerful story. I felt very connected because as an immigrant we also had to go through different struggles. Thaks for sharing your story.